We dined out on Tuesday night not too far from our apartment. I ate my weight in goat cheese logs. At one point, one of the dudes sitting next to us leaned over with his glass of wine and asked, "Can we toast... to zee life?" So we toasted to life and discussed the US vs. France in terms of opportunities for immigrants. We also learned that some French people like to watch Married with Children. Mmmm. Okay. The two gentlemen (who went by the names Fabrizio and Giovanni) shared their wine with us and later bought us café viennois (coffee with chantilly, a.k.a. whipped cream). This was about 11:30 p.m. We were told that it was necessary to apply chantilly to each others' noses. Despite probably being taken for fools, we went for it.
We headed out after the coffees and stopped for a late-night crêpe. This crêpe-wizard made a mistake with MacKenzie's crêpe (he added Nutella instead of hazelnut spread) and so he gave it to me! And then charged me for my "free" gift crêpe. I received a 20% discount.
Some cool motos which reminded me of Rome!
We had lunch the next day at Cafe Breizh. Worth the 30 minute wait. The host remembered my name, too. Look at those delicious crispy edges! We had cider with our galettes (which is typical in Brittany).
DESSERT CRÊPE. Pears, chantilly, salted caramel sauce. Deeeeeeeeeeeelicious. And coffee!
Pourin' the sugar
We checked out the Centquatre (104) which apparently used to be the Municipal Funeral Services building but is now a cool modern art mix (bookstores, vintage shops, exhibits, places for kids to play/rollerblade/be creative/practice hip hop dance moves). We thought it was pretty cool. This record jumping guy was on display in a darkened room. The art in action:
Rodin outside the Orangerie Museum, Thursday morning. We both love Rodin!
Our last restaurant meal was at Le Bistrot de Peintre. Super tasty and very pretty decor. MacKenzie looked cool in her gold shirt, hanging with the carafe d'eau.
Check out the art nouveau gal on the wall!
We walked and walked and then hung out at Shakespeare and Co., and English language bookstore near Notre Dame (check out the neato website). This place is crammed with books and lamps and other good stuff, and used to be a hangout spot for authors and artists.
Reading "My Happy Days in Hell" by György Faludy
Happy to be in Paris and not in hell.
Now I'm back in Chauny. I miss Paris and I miss MacKenzie. My meals have been much less interesting than those of the past week. Brussels sprouts and fried eggs, anyone? (To be honest, I loved this meal. But it doesn't exactly compare to mushroom galettes with cider.)
I was invited yesterday to have lunch with the family of two of my students (they are boy-girl twins and very sweet, and very strong in English). The boy was visiting his gal in Marseille, but I got to hang out with the girl twin and her parents and her sweet 7-year old video game loving brother. We had apertifs (there's something about drinking champagne at noon) and then feasted on chicken, fries, and salad. The dad explained that Saturday is sort of a lazy day and this was a typical nothing-special Saturday lunch. We talked about movies, different parts of the US, professors at the high school, the education system in France/the US, among other topics. The dad expressed his desire to fly to New York and road trip across the country to San Francisco. YEAH! What a sweet family. They sent me home with some extra riz au lait (rice pudding) and a jar of salted caramel sauce. !!!
On the way back to Chauny we stopped at Cultura, a store which sells books, DVDs, music, art supplies, and lots of other things. I spent a long time in the pen section. And then I found all the art stuff. Oh goodness! New sketchbook and new pastels! (And apples?)
I bought my first TROUSSE! It's a pencil bag. All French students (and teachers) have them. It's real leather and adorably tiny and fits all my pretty new pens.
Later this afternoon I'm going to an English prof's house to watch Garden State and eat stinky cheese.
Then? Seven full days without obligation and without companions. I made myself some daily lists so I don't go bananas here.
Peace!
XO






1 comment:
Delicious looking brussels sprouts and eggs.
oh my, I can smell it now...
Fortunately it's more delicious than it smells!
Post a Comment